UK’s Number 1 Provider of Salt Barns
Toro Shelter is the UK’s leading supplier of bulk salt storage buildings, delivering turn-key solutions to new and existing depots across the United Kingdom. Toro's salt barns have been identified as the most effective and economical solution of storing winter road salt and they are compliant with the Road Salt Storage Industry best practices set down by the UK Roads Liaison Group in its most recent practical guide. Moreover, Toro Shelter is a member of the National Winter Service Research Group. As a member, Toro will advice councils on the best practices for winter road salt storage.
The knowledge and experience within Toro’s engineering team has put the company in a unique position to help you along every step of the way building your salt barn facility. Our team will walk you through the various stages of construction projects, highlight the associated risks and help you overcome the common pitfalls experienced in taking a new scheme through to completion.
Whether your salt barn is for 500t or 50,000t of winter salt, Toro can help with the following:
- Preliminary consultancy, advising on size, design and function.
- Site investigations to ensurethe viability of existing ground conditions and assist in accurate civils costing.
- Planning drawings and advice to support the planning application.
- Ground remediation to improve poor ground, ready to support 1000’s of tonnes of salt.
- Design, manufacture, freight and installation of a bespoke designed, tensioned fabric salt barn structure.
Toro's Salt Barns Are The Most Cost Effective Solution
Timber salt barn are disproportionated expensive. Toro's Salt Storage Barns offers a cost effective solution to store winter road salt. Here's why Toro Shelters are the UK's most trusted supplier:
- The structurally efficient latticed steel trusses reduce the load on the foundations which in turn reduces the engineering, size and cost of the foundations.
- The foundations and base slab are rigorously designed to prevent premature failure from heavy usage and prolonged saline attack.
- The retaining walls are pre-cast which not only reduces the overall cost of manufacture but also means that if a push wall is broken, it can be swapped out with minimal cost. The walls can also be given a waterproof coating for even longer life.
- The steel frame of the building, the heart of a Toro Shelter, is manufactured with a design life of 50 years.
- The cover will easily last 20-30 years but can be repaired and even replaced completely for a fraction of the cost of any other style of the cladding.
- Shelters can be re-purposed, re-located or re-sold which could offer huge savings on sunk costs.
- Perhaps most importantly, the team at Toro would welcome early engagement to define the solution as we have the experience to advise where you can and can’t value engineer the design solution.
Toro's Structures Are Built to Last for Years
A bulk salt storage building is a highly corrosive environment. Toro understands this and has invested time and effort to ensure that not only the structure of the salt storage building, but also the foundations and retaining walls
are designed, manufactured and installed to be fit-for-purpose. Toro is confident of its salt storage system and offers a 20-year warranty.
The latticed steel frame of a Toro Shelter is hot-dip galvanised to protect the structure against the oxidising effects of the salt. The building's base plates and fixings get extra protection on top of this. The tensioned, ultra-tough
composite membrane cover is impervious to attack from salt and sand (and most other chemicals) and is very easy to wash down. Plus, each bulk salt storage is
built to withstand the local weather conditions, be it inner city London or the West coast of Scotland.
Salt Storage Buildings Designed to Fit the Client's Requirements
The size of your salt barn will be one of your first considerations. However, it is also important to think about its shape and appearance. For example it is important to achieve clearance for 28 tonne tipper truck that often deliver the winter road salt, equally, the height requirements need to be balanced with local planning height restrictions.
Toro can deliver almost any size and shape of a structure and can now provide retractable roof system. Additionally, Toro can help smooth the planning approval process by supplying clients with design drawings and colour swatches of our PVC fabric for submission to your local Planning Department. The image below shows a large salt barn for the Central Bedfordshire Council in RAL colour 6005, which was a stipulation from the local council Planning Department.
Safety First for Toro Shelters
All Toro salt barns are designed in accordance with Eurocode design standards and, in accordance with BS EN 1090-1, all structural steel is supplied CE marked.
Toro’s design philosophy is to design-in safety, right from the outset. Over time we have further developed this, in line with CDM regulations, to continually reduce risk in the manufacture and installation stages of the build. For example, Toro operatives now carry out more than 80% of the assembly at ground level, even for a salt barn with a 14m high apex.
In turn, a Toro salt storage building is designed to offer a safe and comfortable working environment for operatives. For example, sufficient space is recommended in-and-around the structure and retaining walls for safe and easy inspection, maintenance and repair access.
The fabric used to cover the salt barn is supplied from the highest quality manufacturers in the world and is compliant with all relevant fire regulations. The fabrics Toro uses are self-extinguishing; they do not propagate ﬂames or cause burning droplets to fall.
Protecting Winter Salt While Protecting the Environment
Correctly storing salt will greatly increase its shelf life and ensure it remains compliant with regulations and standards BS 3247:2011 “Salt for spreading on highways for winter maintenance”. One of the main factors
in achieving this is protection from moisture. Unprotected salt can diminish by as much as 20% per year, which is not only costly but will also allow concentrated leachate to escape into the environment where it will damage
fauna and flora. Some regions have attempted to mitigate this by covering stockpiles with tarpaulins. However, the risk and complexity of operating a salt storage facility covered in this way has proved completely untenable.
Toro salt barns will ensure compliance with the Environment Agency or Scottish Environmental Protection Agency (SEPA) guidelines. Moreover, not only do Toro's salt barns protect the environment from salt pollution, they are
manufactured almost entirely from recyclable material and have an extremely low carbon footprint.
To have more informations about Toro's salt storage buildings or to make a quote, contact us now. We will be happy to help you.